Kowloon Junior School’s latest newsletter is available to read now.
Dates for Your Diary
Thursday 7 January Library Workshop via Zoom
Friday 5 February ESF Chinese Assembly
Wednesday 10 February Day before Mid-Term Break – FULL Day Learning
11 – 19 February Mid-Term Break
1 – 5 March Book Week
Thursday 4 March World Book Day
18 & 19 March 3 Way Learning Conferences
22 – 23 March Y4 Camp
Thursday 25 March ESF Evening of Dance
Friday 26 March Last day of term – Half day (finish at 12pm)
29 March – 9 April Term Break
Happy new year and welcome to KJS for 2021. We recognise that this Christmas has been especially challenging for many families being separated and having concerns for loved ones. Despite this, we hope you managed to have some special time with family over the Christmas break.
No doubt you will have read the news regarding the return to school plans from both the Government and also the ESF notification. We know that the news will have a mixed response from Parents, some delighted the children will have a regular face-to-face connection with staff and peers, and others who are concerned about the travel and being in school. We can see the merit of having the children in school, even for the limited number of days before Chinese New Year, to allow teachers to stay connected with students and also to allow the children to connect (safely) with their peers.
We will continue to apply our proven safe practices and will again utilise our 3M’s to Success to keep the children safely learning, playing and being at school together. confirmed details are:
- Primary schools are permitted to have one year group per day in school for a ½ day morning session;
- The variation in days where children are in school allows some face-to-face connection to specialist teachers whilst ensuring a whole ‘in school’ morning is not spent away from the class teacher and in specialist classes;
- The ‘in school’ day will be 8:25am to 12:25pm with independent learning in the afternoon (see below);
- Following feedback from parents from the last mix of in school and at home, it was very apparent the race to get home, eat and then set up for Zooms created considerable stress in the home. Accordingly, teachers will set relevant and appropriate independent learning experiences for the afternoon of their in school day (i.e. no Zoom that afternoon);
- On the ‘in school’ day, the learning is onsite and hence, there is no Zoom learning in the morning;
- For the year groups not on their ‘in school’ day, the regular distance learning continues;
- At this time, the only confirmed bus provision will be a Tung Chung bus and Parents will need to consult with bus companies. However, it is likely that parents will need to access alternative transport arrangements for the ‘in school’ days;
- Children will need to arrive at school having had their temperature checked and registered through the app, completed the health declaration (ESF will send a notification about the health declaration) and with a mask on and a spare mask, a morning snack and their drink bottle;
- Children may not arrive at school before 8:00am and must be collected by 12:30pm
Please note your calendar for your child’s ‘in school’ days between now and Chinese New Year.
Finally, ESF and KJS are keen to continue to gather Parent and student voice regarding distance learning provision. Please take a few minutes to complete this form to help us to ensure “Success for Every Child”.
Thank you for your ongoing support. We are really keen to make the most of the opportunity to have children in school and are keen to ensure, with your support, that this is a success. Let’s hope this is the start of a gradual return to school. If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact us.
Kowloon Junior School
20 Perth Street
Happy New Year everyone! I hope you all had a relaxing holiday. Here are some upcoming events happening in the Library.
Parent Library Workshop – 7 Jan
On Thursday, January 7th at 5pm, KJS Library Team would like to host a workshop to help you navigate your way through the KJS Virtual Library and Library Splat page. Learn more about the resources and tools available to support your children with reading or research from home.
Students are welcome to join the session together with Parents to learn more about where they can access online resources.
Please have two devices ready to use at the workshop (one to Zoom and one to explore our library services). Also, have your child’s Splat account and password ready. It might be helpful to check if the account works before the session.
Please note that this session will be conducted via Zoom and a link will be provided on Thursday morning.
To register, click here. Deadline to register is tomorrow morning, Thursday, January 7th, at 8am.
Thank you for sending in all your wonderful pictures of students reading their favourite books over the holidays. It’s not too late to have your picture on our KJS Virtual Library and to see it prominently displayed at school. Here is a link to the pictures that we’ve received so far.
Please send your pictures to Ms. Lau at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know your full name and class. Looking forward to seeing all your pictures.
The celebration of student success will channel to our Facebook page. You can find the school’s Facebook here. Please keep the photos and stories coming of our children shooting the AAROW’s of Success!
- Kowloon Junior School, English Schools Foundation and its affiliates shall take no responsibility for any activities, events, and services, that are organised by other organisations or individuals and are mentioned in our newsletters.
- If you do not wish to receive our newsletters by email, you may contact the school office at email@example.com to opt out. Our newsletters will still be accessible on our website https://kjs.edu.hk/kjs-news/.
- In accordance with our Personal Data Handling Policy, Kowloon Junior School and English Schools Foundation may place your child’s photos, name, school work, activities and accomplishments in our newsletters or other publications (including but not limited to our websites and social media sites). If you would like to opt out, please email the school office at firstname.lastname@example.org.