Kowloon Junior School’s latest newsletter is available to read now.
Dates for Your Diary
Happy New Year and welcome back to KJS for term 2!
I was so delighted to spend time with family over the break and it was a real pleasure to have my daughter visit from New Zealand. Yesterday, she joined me to walk around the school visiting classes. We both noticed the vibrancy, the passionate and engaged teachers and students, and the highly supportive and skilled educational assistants and support staff. It is very evident our team have come back ready to challenge and support each and every child to succeed, and be the best they can be.
I leave for Bangkok today to interview candidates from a pool of over 300 experienced international school educators to complement our exceptional staff in 2019/20. ESF works hard to ensure we have the best possible staff working with your children. I know our team are excited about the term ahead and we look forward to continuing to partner with you to ensure 2018/19 is a real success. We can support one another and your children by:
- continuing to use growth mindset language to support intrinsic motivation
- asking your child what they have struggled with during the day and what mistakes they have learnt from and sharing how you have learnt from mistakes
- asking your child to share their unit of inquiry learning (especially after you have had the fortnightly update)
- reading with and to your child (all the way to the end of year 6!)
- limiting screen time and monitoring technology use especially on the web and online games
- ensuring your child have ‘real food’ to eat at school and only water to drink
- ensuring your child receives the recommended sleep each night
- spending time with your child, talking, listening, playing, even 15 minutes dedicated 1:1 time a day can make a real difference to them
- talking with your child’s teacher if you have any concerns or things you think we need to know to support their learning and wellbeing
Together we can achieve great things with your child! Have a great week and I hope to see you at some point in the term ahead.
Term Two Clubs and Activities
Please refer to this newsletter (click here) for a list of Term Two clubs and activities. Registration opens at 10am on Thursday 10 January 2019.
Term 2 Chess Club will start next week. For sign up and further inquiries, please contact The Chess Academy directly on 3480 4199 / 9178 7376 / email@example.com.
Junior Baking Class
See the Junior Bakers in action by clicking on the link below:
We are looking forward to another term of growing, gardening and sustainable action through the KJS green club. Thanks to increased staffing, we can now accommodate up to 60 students every Wednesday from 3- 4pm. Please use Gateway to sign up and secure a spot for term 2 and 3.
Library News: KJS Library Book Bag Order Forms
KJS Library Book Bags will be available for sale at the PTA office for $60/each starting Monday, 21 January 2019. Alternatively, students can also purchase book bags by completing the library book bag order form (click here) and returning it to their class teacher. Cheques should be payable to “Kowloon Junior School Parent Teacher Association Ltd.” (please print the child’s name and class, as well as your contact number, on the back of the cheque).
Please note that all Year 1 to 5 students will be required to purchase the bag during Term Two (21 January – 12 April 2019). Year 6 students will be given a book bag as a graduation gift from PTA so they will not be required to purchase a bag.
For more questions regarding the Library Book Bag, please contact the Librarian Ms. Lau at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Happy New Year everyone and welcome back to another exciting term at school.
SCHOOL DISCO NIGHT
Tickets for our school disco night are now on sale. Please refer to the poster and click here for the form.
Food will be available for purchase and there will be a variety of vegetarian, non-vegetarian and deserts on offer.
In line with our commitment to sustainability, we encourage you to bring your own water bottles to refill at the event.
Raffle tickets will be sent home with the children today. Please refer to the accompanying letter with the raffle booklets for more details.
We are looking for teams and leaders for our International food stalls. If you like to get involved please approach our PTA office as soon as possible.
We are also open to receiving more donations, sponsorships and volunteers for our school’s biggest event of the year. Do get in touch with me if you would like to help.
CHINESE NEW YEAR
The PTA office will be issuing and selling red Lai See packets in time for the Lunar New Year. They will be available for sale from next week onwards.
LIBRARY BOOK BAG
The much-anticipated library book bag will be available for sale from the PTA office from next week as well.
Please make sure to purchase one for your child if they are in Years 1 to 5.
EVENTS THIS MONTH
PTA Meeting – Tuesday, 15 January 2019 at 5pm in the School Library
‘Neon’ School Disco Night – Friday, 25 January 2019 at 5pm on the first floor of the school building
We look forward to seeing our class parent representatives on Tuesday.
Hope you have a great week!
The celebration of student success will channel to our Facebook page. You can find the school’s Facebook here. Please keep the photos and stories coming of our children shooting the AAROW’s of Success!
ESF and Other Notices
- Kowloon Junior School, English Schools Foundation and its affiliates shall take no responsibility for any activities, events, and services, that are organised by other organisations or individuals and are mentioned in our newsletters.
- If you do not wish to receive our newsletters by email, you may contact the school office at email@example.com to opt out. Our newsletters will still be accessible on our website https://www.kjs.edu.hk/kjs-news/.
- In accordance with our Personal Data Handling Policy, Kowloon Junior School and English Schools Foundation may place your child’s photos, name, school work, activities and accomplishments in our newsletters or other publications (including but not limited to our websites and social media sites). If you would like to opt out, please email the school office at firstname.lastname@example.org.