Kowloon Junior School’s latest newsletter is available to read now.
Dates for Your Diary
2 – 5 March Y6 Local Camps – postponed
3 – 6 March Y6 Overseas Camp – cancelled, now included in local camp
9 – 13 March Book Week – postponed
Wednesday 18 March Y1 Immunisation – postponed
25 & 26 March School Musical: Dr Dolittle Jr – postponed
Wednesday 1 April Y1 & 2 Sports Day – postponed
Week of 23 March Student-Led Conferences by distance
Monday 20 April First day of Term 3
705 of you responded!
Your contributions have been pivotal in allowing teachers to personalise learning and support “Success for Every Child”. Based on feedback from a wide range of sources including significant parent feedback, we have recently:
- Increased the opportunities for live teacher connect via Zoom;
- Instigated specialist teacher live sessions;
- Provided additional offline learning options; and
- Contacted families where children are not connecting with school.
Due to the most recent feedback we are now able to:
- Increase or decrease both the quantity and complexity of learning depending on need;
- Enhance the content of Zoom sessions to add more explicit teaching time;
- Support student wellbeing more effectively;
- Better understand parent expectations regarding student engagement; and
- Personalise learning.
The feedback has been so helpful and the information so valuable that we are reopening Survey #3 for any families who did not respond. We still have 22% of families who are yet to give their feedback and help us understand student wellbeing and engagement. The survey will remain open until midnight Friday, March 13th.
One significant change heading into next week will be explicit teaching using Zoom. This will mean that there will be less learning tutorials in some curriculum areas and children will need to be present in Zoom lessons. In the week ahead, we will ensure that the lessons, while important, are more one off in their nature so that missing a session has less impact on students progress.
We will review the feedback before Easter to examine the impact of more live lessons.
Next week is Student-Led conferences are the week of the 23rd so we will be sending home the guiding questions for the conferences and also suggestion for how you might coach your child through the process next week.
Student Grant Scheme Form
The school office will be sending an acknowledgement email to parents who have submitted the HK Government’s Student Grant Scheme application form. Please note that if you have more than one child studying at KJS, you will only receive one acknowledge email. As our office team is still on rotation working schedule, this process may take some time, and your patience is very much appreciated.
A gentle reminder to those who have not submitted, the deadline for submission is Friday 20 March 2020.
This is the final call for all raffles to be submitted to school for our raffle draw on Saturday, 14 March 2020.
The deadline for the submission of all raffles is 12pm on Friday, 13 March 2020.
If you are travelling and have no way of returning your tickets, please email the PTA office at email@example.com and let us know immediately.
If you are in Hong Kong and would like to return your tickets – both sold stubs and unsold tickets, please drop them off in the same envelope as at the time of distribution to Cindy, our school guard between the hours of 9am to 12pm and 1pm to 3pm from today through to Friday at 12pm. Cindy has two sealed and locked collection boxes to collect tickets and the cheques of sold tickets. Please remember to submit your unsold tickets as well.
We must account for every ticket that was sent out. Please let us know if you still have tickets on hand.
If, for any reason, you are in Hong Kong and are unable to return your tickets, please email us to let us know.
The draw will take place at school on Saturday. The video and details of the draw will be posted on the KJS FB page as well as the PTA webpage. Details of prize collection will also be listed.
The PTA appreciates your help with this raffle. We would like to wish everyone, who has purchased tickets, the best of luck with the raffle draw.
ESF and Other Notices
Learn Coding & Programming At Home? No problem!
While it might be difficult to imagine a young mind learning something so seemingly complex, it’s definitely an attainable reality…! According to a survey online, 71% of all new STEM jobs are in computing, yet only 8% of STEM graduates are in Computer Science. That’s a SERIOUS shortage of Computer Science majors.
Learning to code will increase your child’s odds of securing a lucrative STEM career, especially in a world where computing jobs are growing at over twice the national average. So, let’s unlock new tech skills and soft skills with joining one of our popular courses – Tech Explorer & Tech Adventurer. These newly launched online courses are suitable for students aged 10 to 14.
Enrol Now: https://bit.ly/37IjBf7
Date: 2 March – 25 April 2020
Time: Mon/Wed/Thurs – (3:45PM-4:45PM/ 4:45PM-5:45PM/ 5:45PM-6:45PM)
Saturday – (11:30AM-12:30PM OR 2:00PM-3:00PM)
Venue: At Your Home!
The celebration of student success will channel to our Facebook page. You can find the school’s Facebook here. Please keep the photos and stories coming of our children shooting the AAROW’s of Success!
- Kowloon Junior School, English Schools Foundation and its affiliates shall take no responsibility for any activities, events, and services, that are organised by other organisations or individuals and are mentioned in our newsletters.
- If you do not wish to receive our newsletters by email, you may contact the school office at firstname.lastname@example.org to opt out. Our newsletters will still be accessible on our website https://www.kjs.edu.hk/kjs-news/.
- In accordance with our Personal Data Handling Policy, Kowloon Junior School and English Schools Foundation may place your child’s photos, name, school work, activities and accomplishments in our newsletters or other publications (including but not limited to our websites and social media sites). If you would like to opt out, please email the school office at email@example.com.