Kowloon Junior School’s latest newsletter is available to read now.
Dates for Your Diary
Thursday 12 September CPD – No school & PTA AGM and Mid Autumn Festival Evening (new date)
Monday 30 September CPD – No school
Tuesday 1 October National Day – No school
Friday 4 October Day before Mid-Term Break – FULL Day Classes
7 – 11 October Mid-Term Break
31 October & 7 November 3 Way Learning Conference
12 – 15 November School Photo
Friday 15 November Bingo Night
Friday 13 December Last day of term – Half day (finish at 12pm)
16 December – 3 January Term Break
Monday 6 January First day of Term 2
Thank you for your support this week. We have received emails of support and many parents have approached me at the gate to thank the team for the work they are doing to keep your children safe and learning. To keep you informed the following actions have been taken:
- We have brought forward our lockdown drill practices which will take place over the next two weeks. We will be sharing with children that when they hear the chimes they move quietly and quickly to the closest classroom so that we can be sure all children are inside and accounted for. The drills will be undertaken in a positive way just as our fire evacuation drills are. This is a normal part of being safe at school so that we know what to do in case of an emergency. Please listen to your child if they want to speak about the drill and also feel free to contact me should you have any questions.
- We have instituted a process to ensure student safety at the front gate should we have more protests. This process will formalise our responses of last week and will give us a systematic way of responding and accounting for all staff and children.
As you now know, it is essential that the school has your correct phone number for any SMS that we may need to send and that you are attentive to school emails to ensure you are fully informed.
Learning is going on as normal! While we are taking precautions, it is essential for student wellbeing that learning, fun, games, play and relationships continue as normal and that school remains a safe place they enjoy coming to. If your child is exhibiting any concerns, please let your child’s teacher know.
I must celebrate our wonderful students here at KJS. On Saturday and Sunday, we had the pleasure of hosting the Early Years Conference at KJS. Our condition for hosting the conference was that students would open the conference and connect attendees to children and their learning. During the week Claire, Momoka, CY, Suhani, Serena and Prisha prepared, rehearsed and reworked their presentation so as to challenge, inspire and motivate the 180 teachers and presenters in the room and bring joy to the conference. Parents, I can say with confidence (and with a lot of feedback from the delegates) that our girls embodied all of the qualities of our ARROW’s of Success and the PYP Learner Profile. In fact, for many, the presentation from the girls was a highlight of the weekend. We saw student agency in action and KJS was elevated to a whole new level through the presentation of our wonderful student leaders. Congratulations girls and many thanks to the staff, who gave up their weekend, to attend and learn and to the support staff who made the two days possible.
We have Dr. Jared Cooney Horvarth hear, hair, hare, here on Thursday for an empowering professional learning session with staff (he was with our KGV colleagues last week). If you have the opportunity of hearing him after the PTA AGM and Lantern Festival, don’t miss it. Check out his clip I have linked if you are wondering about my spelling!
Claire, Momoka, CY, Suhani, Serena and Prisha after their inspirational presentation.
Our Diwali Celebration Assembly will be on Friday 25 October. If your child is preparing for these auditions and the hotly contested spots, please remember the time limit for each item is 2 minutes and auditions will run in the week of 23 September. We will release the sign up form for students on the week of 16 September.
I look forward to seeing you on Thursday night.
Update – Distribution of 2018/2019 Yearbook
2018/2019 Yearbook will be ready for distribution next Monday 16 September. For parents who have sent us a cheque, a copy will be passed to their children on that day. Please check the school bags accordingly.
If you are interested to get a copy but have not submitted a cheque yet, you can pick up a copy at our School Office from Monday 16 September (first come, first served). We will only accept cash – HK$110 per copy.
IMPORTANT – Y6 to Y7 Transfer Application
This is a final reminder to all Y6 parents. If you wish your child to transfer to an ESF secondary school, you are required to submit a transfer application for Year 7 (available only on Gateway) BEFORE Friday 13 September 2019.
Applications are processed according to current residential address at the time of application; change of residential address following submission of application and prior to entry to Year 7 will not be considered.
Library News – Unusual Reading Spot Contest, After School Writing Club (Years 5-6), Scholastic Book Club and Magazine Subscriptions
Unusual Reading Spot Contest Voting Begins!
Thank you for all the entries for the Unusual Reading Spot Contest. We had such a fun time looking at all the unusual places that you’ve been reading.
From now until October 4th, 2019, you can vote for your favourite picture! Please click on the following link and we’ll announce the results after the school break.
After School Writing Club – starting Thursday, 26 September 2019
The After School Writing Club is back due to popular demand. Lessons are held from 3:00-4:30 pm in the Library starting Thursday 26 September. After 10 weeks, students will have their books edited and published.
Please note that classes are not taught by KJS Teachers and Kowloon Junior School, English Schools Foundation and its affiliates shall take no responsibility for any activities, events, and services, that are organised by other organisations. This course will be taught by a teacher from Elephant Community Press (ECP). Priorities will be given to students who were on the waiting list last year.
Please see the flyer for more details.
Scholastic Book Club Order Forms – Deadline Wednesday, 18 September 2019
Scholastic book club is starting again. Flyers have been given out to students yesterday. Please note that it is optional for families to purchase books. Please hand in cheques and order form to the Library. The deadline is Wednesday, September 18th, 2019. Please ensure to have your child’s name, class and contact phone number on the cheque and on the order form.
Children Magazine Subscriptions
KJS Library offers a wide variety of print and electronic media to students and parents. This week, we would like to introduce children magazine subscription opportunities.
Please note, subscriptions are optional for families and there is no obligation to subscribe.
Our AGM, Mid-Autumn Celebration and special talk by International Guest Speaker, Dr. Jared Cooney Horvath is tomorrow. We look forward to seeing you and your families at 5pm in the school hall.
Please note that the AGM will take place in the school library and it would be great if you could come and hear about PTA’s achievements for the past year, how we have helped the school and engaged with our school community. We will acknowledge and thank our outgoing committee as well as discuss a new committee.
Points to note:
- This is a non-alcoholic event – please refrain from bringing in any alcoholic beverages;
- Families of children, including siblings and grandparents are welcome;
- Please encourage the children to bring in their own handmade lanterns made preferably from recycled materials;
- Children must be supervised at all times by an adult – during the talk, teachers will supervise the children; and
- Bring in your own refillable water bottles.
We are looking for nominations and candidates for the following positions:
- 2nd Vice Chair
- Volunteer Secretary
If you would like to take a more active role in the core committee of the PTA or if you know of anyone who would like to, please drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with details of the parent’s name, contact number, email address, child’s name and class.
Thank you to all the parents who have approached the PTA to represent their classes at meetings and act as a link between the PTA and the parents in their class.
We are still missing a few Class Reps from the following classes:
If a parent from any of these three classes would like to take up the position as a Class Rep, please approach the PTA and let us know.
Thank you for your orders for the winter uniforms. Please note that orders cannot be placed if payments have not been made. Kindly send in your payments via cheque with your child’s name, class, your contact name and number at the back of the cheque. Alternatively, you can pop into the PTA shop and make the payment in person.
We look forward to welcoming you and your families at our AGM and Mid-Autumn Celebration tomorrow.
In case we don’t see you tomorrow evening, on behalf of everyone at the PTA, I wish you and your families an uplifting and cheerful Mid-Autumn Festival.
The celebration of student success will channel to our Facebook page. You can find the school’s Facebook here. Please keep the photos and stories coming of our children shooting the AAROW’s of Success!
- Kowloon Junior School, English Schools Foundation and its affiliates shall take no responsibility for any activities, events, and services, that are organised by other organisations or individuals and are mentioned in our newsletters.
- If you do not wish to receive our newsletters by email, you may contact the school office at email@example.com to opt out. Our newsletters will still be accessible on our website https://www.kjs.edu.hk/kjs-news/.
- In accordance with our Personal Data Handling Policy, Kowloon Junior School and English Schools Foundation may place your child’s photos, name, school work, activities and accomplishments in our newsletters or other publications (including but not limited to our websites and social media sites). If you would like to opt out, please email the school office at firstname.lastname@example.org.