Kowloon Junior School’s latest newsletter is available to read now.
My reflections on the first week have been affirmed after our regular staff meetings: 32 staff opting into optional “Tech Tuesday” professional learning in the first week, our teacher professional learning on Monday this week and then the PTA meeting last night. All indicators point to staff and community passionate about ensuring “Success for Every Child” at KJS! Such passion, enthusiasm and energy will make such a difference to our children.
At the PTA last night, I informed the committee of the steps we are taking to ensure the wellbeing of your children. These include close monitoring of air pollution indicators together with an ongoing assessment of the flu virus, at KJS and across ESF, to ensure our children are safe. We are receiving regular updates from ESF and the EDB regarding the flu virus. Both have advised that given the exceptional circumstances face masks are permissible for children who have a cough but no fever. That is, they are well enough to be at school but a mask will reduce the risk of germ spreading. This does not mean children should wear a mask to prevent them from catching germs. Please assist us with this process by only sending your child with a mask if they meet the above criteria. Together, we can make it safely through the flu season in Hong Kong.
On Friday before Chinese New Year (1 Feb), we will be sending home a Mid Year Report for all children to provide you with an update regarding your child’s progress. This brief report is part of the comprehensive reporting process at KJS. At the PTA meeting, concern was expressed that the annual InCAS and ISA achievement data was not easily accessible for families. These assessments are organised by ESF and provide indications of student achievement utilising standardised tests. We will make sure the InCAS data is provided this week and ISA data within the next week. Thank you for the parents who highlighted this problem. We will also provide explanations on how to read the data and, if needed, we will facilitate parent information sessions.
My four days in Bangkok at the Search Associates recruitment fair affirmed the importance of accessing the highest quality candidates when recruiting for KJS and ESF. I was assured the staff we have are very high quality and also delighted to see the significant interest in Hong Kong and especially ESF as a career destination for international educators.
This week will conclude with the Agents of Change Year 6 Conference hosted at KJS. This is a wonderful opportunity for ESF Year 6 students (over 900 will join us on Friday) to connect face to face with Hong Kong NGO’s responding to the needs of the world in 2019. It will be an exciting day as our students start to contemplate their response to the UN Global Goals and their PYP Exhibition. We have certainly started 2019 in an exciting way as we shoot the AAROW’s of Success at KJS!
Enjoy the week.
Message from the Learning Enhancement Team
Dear Parents and Caregivers
Please click here for a flyer from SNN:HK (Special Needs Network: Hong Kong) which is an organisation that supports parents of children with special needs. They are holding an event tomorrow to help parents understand the entitlements and services available in the public system for children with special needs, disabilities and complex medical needs.
If you have a child with special needs you may find this event very helpful.
Learning Enhancement Team Leader
Thank you to all the parent representatives who came to our PTA meeting yesterday. We are a big
school and the more parents we have at meetings, the better it is for all of us.
At our meetings, we get updates from our Principal and SLT team on the school, we discuss PTA
events and activities, and we open the floor to hear your voice about any concerns and suggestions
you might have.
If your class doesn’t have a representative, I encourage you to find one. It would be very helpful to
have your class represented at meetings.
Our next meeting will be on Tuesday, 19 February 2019 at 5pm in the School Library.
It’s next Friday, 25 January at 5pm in the School Hall. Don’t forget to get your tickets from the PTA
shop. Tickets are $70 each.
Points to note for the disco:
- Children must be accompanied by an adult and the adult will be responsible for the children they accompany;
- The School Disco and all the exciting things on offer will be available on the first floor of the school only. All other areas of the school will be closed, including the playground;
- Please bring your own refillable water bottle – there will be water stations on site;
- Food will be available for purchase including pizzas, appetizers and baked items;
- We need volunteers to help us run one stall – if you can help, please let us know;
- Children and adults will participate in a variety of dancing games in the school hall – please make sure you bring your dancing shoes!
We look forward to seeing you at the event. In case you missed it, here is the order form for tickets.
It’s fast approaching and we need your help. We cannot host our biggest event of the year without
you. Please get involved. It’s on Saturday, 16 March 2019.
Parent donations in cash or kind
- Cash will go towards investing in the event to create more opportunities to raise funds for the PTA, which in turn will go towards investing in new resources for the school;
- Other donations will go towards our school auction, which is as exciting as our school raffle;
Items for our White Elephant Stall and our books’ corner
- If you have items or books which are new or used but in good condition, please donate them to our White Elephant or Book Sales
- Our International Food Stalls are always a big hit with both adults and children – If you would like to head a team or be part of one, please approach the PTA shop and we can help place you
- Our White Elephant Stall and Book Sales’ Corner will also need lots of help
- We run face painting, tattoos, temporary hair colouring counters, arts and crafts etc. at the fair; this will only be possible if you help us
- Prior to the fair, we will need some help sorting donated items and for raffle counting.
Please volunteer if you can spare 60 minutes on the day.
Help spread the word and get involved. We can thrive only if we all work together. Our events are
a great way to get to know our school community and they are just as fun when you are helping too.
In accordance with our raffle license agreement with the HK Government, raffle tickets will be sent
home with your child from 28 January 2019. Please look out for these and read the accompanying
letter for more details.
School Library Book Bag
It is a requirement for all children to purchase the new and more sturdy Library Book Bag, designed
in collaboration with Macy Lau, our Librarian and the children, from the PTA shop for $60 before the
end of Term Two.
Alternatively, you can just pop into the PTA shop and purchase one.
After much discussion and mock-up trials and samples, we have created a new sun hat for the
children with their house colours.
These sun hats will be available for purchase from the PTA shop from next week, 21 January 2019
onwards. Children will be required to purchase the new sun hat which will offer more protection
from the sun and will stay on while the they are playing outdoors.
Lai See Packets
KJS Lai See packets are now available in the PTA shop for $25 per pack. Please do stop by and pick up
Thank you. Please approach the PTA office if you can help.
The celebration of student success will channel to our Facebook page. You can find the school’s Facebook here. Please keep the photos and stories coming of our children shooting the AAROW’s of Success!
ESF and Other Notices
- Kowloon Junior School, English Schools Foundation and its affiliates shall take no responsibility for any activities, events, and services, that are organised by other organisations or individuals and are mentioned in our newsletters.
- If you do not wish to receive our newsletters by email, you may contact the school office at firstname.lastname@example.org to opt out. Our newsletters will still be accessible on our website https://www.kjs.edu.hk/kjs-news/.
- In accordance with our Personal Data Handling Policy, Kowloon Junior School and English Schools Foundation may place your child’s photos, name, school work, activities and accomplishments in our newsletters or other publications (including but not limited to our websites and social media sites). If you would like to opt out, please email the school office at email@example.com.