Kowloon Junior School’s latest newsletter is available to read now.
Dates for Your Diary
Thursday 1 July Summer holiday begins!
Thursday 19 August First day of school!
As you head into the summer, I encourage you to pause and enjoy your beautiful children, the good things around you, and the blessings of beautiful Hong Kong. I leave you with a poem I shared with staff last night, which encourages some mindful reflection, encourages us to stop, and to stare.
Thank you for your support over the last four years. I have been so privileged to have been the KJS principal and have been honoured to lead such a dedicated and professional team. I leave the school in good hands, in a positive direction, and with an awesome team and community. I am confident that KJS will continue to support Success for Every Child through the AAROW’s of Success.
W. H. DAVIES
What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?—
No time to stand beneath the boughs,
And stare as long as sheep and cows:
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass:
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night:
No time to turn at Beauty’s glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance:
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began?
A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
Donation Raised – Year 5 Market Day
A total of HKD13,560.1 was raised during Year 5 Market Day on 18 June. We will donate the total to two charities – RunHK and WWF. On behalf of these two charities, thank you for your generosity!
Junior Duke Award
Great news! Having seen the success and growing popularity of the Junior Duke programme across International Schools in Hong Kong, we are pleased to announce Kowloon Junior are also going to be offering this exciting opportunity with the students, teachers and parents within our school community next academic year.
The Mini & Junior Duke Award is aimed at giving children the time and space to develop key skills such as resilience, organisation, self-motivation, and most importantly independence, needed in their future lives. Whether it’s cooking a meal, fixing a puncture, organising an eco-event or hike, the Junior Duke Award gives participants the chance to develop a huge variety of important life skills.
The award program enables Primary school children to grow and develop into confident well-rounded individuals. In addition, the challenges set give families welcome valuable off-screen learning opportunities where they can bond through learning these important life skills.
More information will be available in August and sign up will take place early September.
Check out the Junior Duke highlights here.
Summer has arrived! Many parents have emailed our library team asking about activities that students can do over the summer. Here are a few suggestions:
- Take a reading photo over the summer
Once school starts, we’ll be asking students to send in their reading photos to decorate the walls of our library. Previous photos taken have been prominently displayed on our KJS Virtual Library and on the walls of our library.
Previous student photos will be relocated to various areas of the school and will be distributed back to students when they complete their learning journey here at KJS. Photo deadline 31 August 2021. Details on where to send it to be announced at the start of school.
- Explore KJS Virtual Library
Although school is closed, our KJS Virtual Library will always be online to keep students busy. This page has free resources that students can access without having to log onto their splat. Students have particularly enjoyed:
- KJS History – Learning about KJS history and watching historic videos that include plays, campus tours, songs.
- KJS Times – If you’ve missed reading any issues, click on the link to read articles written by KJS students.
- Virtual Celebration Assemblies – If you’ve missed any VCA’s over the year or miss Mr. O’Reilly, do not worry. You can catch up and watch this over summer break.
- Authors online – A collection of author videos that have been through safetube so that there are no advertisements. Click and select an author to watch them demonstrate how to draw their book characters or listen to them read their books.
- Fun and Helpful websites – there have been many free resources offered during Covid. Click on this link and explore from learning how to code to going on a virtual field trips. If you have any resources that you think we should add, please let Lau know.
- Explore Library Splat page
Ever since we launched the KJS Virtual Library, many students have forgotten that we have a Library Splat page.
This page has all of the links to databases that KJS subscribes to. Click on any boxes to bring you directly to the resource. If a login and password is needed, there are reminders on the icon. For others, the link will automatically log into the database. Again, this is a KJS subscription and we hope this is not shared with anyone outside the community.
Have a wonderful summer everyone! Happy reading and see you in August!
Please click here for a letter from the PTA.
The celebration of student success will channel to our Facebook page. You can find the school’s Facebook here. Please keep the photos and stories coming of our children shooting the AAROW’s of Success!
- Kowloon Junior School, English Schools Foundation and its affiliates shall take no responsibility for any activities, events, and services, that are organised by other organisations or individuals and are mentioned in our newsletters.
- Our newsletters may contain direct marketing materials that are related to students’ daily school activities and the KJS community. Parents who choose not to receive such materials should use their own discretion.
- In accordance with our Personal Data Handling Policy, Kowloon Junior School and English Schools Foundation may place your child’s photos, name, school work, activities and accomplishments in our newsletters or other publications (including but not limited to our websites and social media sites). If you would like to opt out, please email the school office at email@example.com.