Working together to achieve success for every child
Welcome to our 4th edition!
In each update, the Year 3 Team will bring you snapshots of what your children in Year Three have been up to every 2 weeks. You will see a variety of learning experiences exemplifying learning which is fun, exciting, challenging, innovative and/or creative…and whatever they are, we know that your child has worked really hard to get there and should you have the chance, you may want to share this newsletter with your child to find out the juicy details and discuss the great learning he/she have been doing!
Transdisciplinary Learning – It’s all connected!
Transdisciplinary theme: How We Express Ourselves
Central idea: An appreciation of nature can be expressed through various art forms.
Lines of inquiry:
- Our appreciation of nature (perspective)
- How artistic skills can be used to express ideas to an audience (function)
- How artwork connects us to nature (connection)
Unit of Inquiry
The students have been busy preparing for their Art Gallery to all the parents this week! They have spent time updating their artistic skills using the elements of art and have created either a sculpture, a photograph, a painting, a transient art piece or a collage ready for parents to see and enjoy.
It has been an exciting week as the children have been making lots of important decisions based on their art gallery. They have decided where their pieces are going to be displayed and how they have been displayed.
We looked at real art galleries and museums and unpacked what information real artist’s record about their art.
A big thank you to all the parents that were able to join us! The children were absolutely thrilled to share their learning journey with you!
In maths, the students have continued to explore 2D shapes and have been inquiring into what is a regular and irregular shape. Through their inquiries students found out that 2D Regular shapes have the same angles and sides and Irregular 2D Shapes have the opposite with different angles and sides!
We have also started to unpack the vocabulary of 3D shapes and create models of 3D shapes to describe their properties.
We even connected the shapes we have been creating in our nature art pieces we used in the gallery as well!
We need your help
Our new unit How We Organise Ourselves is starting next week where we will be inquiring into food and where it comes from.
Should you have any empty and clean food packets in your home, we would love to get our hands on them for some excellent learning about food ingredients and measurements! So please send them to school should you have some available!
If you have any spare magazines, newspapers, cardboard, cereal boxes or small containers that we can use in our junk modelling area, we would love it if they could be brought to school.
Please note to only bring in items that are clean and stain free, as the children will be using their creativity to make things with these objects.
A few key reminders for students and parents:
- Please remind your child to pack his/her hat for school each day, as children who do not bring their hat will not be allowed to take part in snack or lunch play.
- There are extreme peanut allergies in Year 3, so please make sure your child does not bring nuts to school or eat peanut butter or nutella for breakfast before he/she heads to school.
- Please remind your child to pack his/her own cutlery as we do not provide extra sets of cutlery at school.
- Your child this week have home readers to read at home daily for up to 5-10 minutes. Please let your child’s class teacher know if the level is too hard for your child.
Key dates for the Diary
31 October & 7 November 3 Way Learning Conference (3-6pm)
12 – 15 November School Photo
Friday 15 November Bingo Night
Friday 13 December Last day of term – Half day (finish at 12pm)
16 December – 3 January Term Break
Monday 6 January First day of Term 2