Kowloon Junior School’s latest newsletter is available to read now.
Dates for Your Diary
14 September Y1,2 and 3 RSE curriculum
22 September Mid-Autumn Festival – No school
28 September Library Information Session (all parents)
1 October National Day – No school
11 – 15 October Mid Term Break
19 October Unit Reporting – Parent Information Session (all parents)
27 October Triple P Parenting Session (all parents)
4 November 3 Way conferences
17 December Last day of term – Half day (finish at 12pm)
20 December – 7 January Term Break
10 January First day of Term 2
Dear KJS Families,
It continues to be a pleasure getting to know your children and the wonderful world of KJS. Students and staff across the school are beginning to tune into areas that they are intrinsically motivated to explore and develop. This focus on guiding our learners to find and use their intrinsic motivation to grow and learn is a priority strategic aim for us at KJS. This is one of the most challenging core aspects of education that schools must continually grapple with and manage. On one side, we must facilitate learner agency by helping students to identify and leverage their strengths and interests and, on the other side, we have a responsibility to provide students with a broad range of experiences, knowledge, and skills. This is because learners simply don’t know what they don’t know. There is a dynamic, messy, and, in many ways, beautiful mix of science and craft that goes into doing this, and I feel proud to be part of such a noble and essential endeavour at KJS.
- Traffic – You will, of course, have noticed an increase in the volume of traffic on our roads since all Hong Kong schools are back in session. I humbly ask that all of us who drive to KJS remain patient and considerate as we drop-off and collect students. If we work together and presume positive intent of each other (that we are all trying to be as efficient and kind as possible, even when it feels like the opposite), Then I believe that we can successfully navigate the daily short bursts when frustration could get the better of us. We also model effectively for our children, as children will do what they see ahead of what they are told.
- Road Works in Perth Street – At some point in the near future some fairly major road works are planned to go ahead in Perth Street. During that time, it will be even more important for us all to consider my message regarding traffic above. Regarding buses during that time, we will monitor travel times and consider making adjustments for some students if trips home become unreasonably long.
- Uniforms at KJS – Please note that for the foreseeable future, parents may choose to purchase existing KJS PTA uniforms or uniforms from the ESF website.
- PTA Class Representatives Wanted – We are still seeking PTA Class Representatives for the following classes:
If you are interested in learning more about and/or supporting KJS through this supportive role, then please contact: email@example.com
Dr Jamie Schmitz
Thank you so much for supporting us by sending in your reading photos, subscribing to SCMP Young Post, and signing up for the Afterschool Writing Club. We appreciate your enthusiasm!
This week, younger children have been learning about bookcare, parts of a book, and exploring how the library is organized. Students have been excited about being able to choose books that they can bring home to share with you.
Our older children have been busy practicing search strategies using Orbit, our library catalogue system, and understanding the new features of the system. For Year 5 and 6’s, we have recently invited students to join the Battle of the Books Club. Emails were sent out last Thursday and we’re looking forward to receiving their applications.
Library Parent Workshop
To ensure that Parents understand and know how to access our library services, we will be holding an upcoming Library Parent Workshop.
The workshop will be held on Tuesday, September 28th at 5pm and it’s aim is to help Parents navigate their way through the KJS Virtual Library and Library Splat page. At the session, you will learn more about the resources and tools available to support your children with reading or research from home.
Students are welcome to join the session together with Parents to learn more about where they can access online resources.
Please save the date on your calendars and register here. Reminder that you will need your child’s Splat login and password information.
SCMP Posties Student Reading Program
In last week’s newsletter, the link to sign up for Posties was not updated. As such, some parents may have missed out the opportunity to sign up for SCMP’s newspaper aimed towards younger readers. There is still time! Deadline is this Friday, September 17th.
Posties is a weekly entertainment newspaper and e-copies will be issued every Wednesday. Posties aim to provide fun facts, DIY activities, fascinating science, general knowledge feature and content about current affairs. Language and content is tailored to engage even our youngest readers.
Here are the dates for upcoming issues that start in October:
Happy Reading everyone! If you have any questions, please email our library team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Y6 to Y7 Transfer Application
This is an important notice to all Y6 parents. Referring to the message from CEO Mrs Belinda Greer, there will be an important change to the Y6 to Y7 transfer this year.
If you wish your child to transfer to an ESF secondary school, you are required to submit a transfer application for Year 7 (available only on Gateway) during the period Wednesday 1 September- Friday 17 September 2021
Starting with this year’s Y6 allocation for Y7, ESF will process and allocate according to an ‘associated secondary school’ for Y7 placement. The associated secondary school for KJS is King George V School (KGV). This means ALL KJS Y6 children will transition to KGV for Y7 for the 2022/2023 school year. Allocation for secondary school will be by ‘associated secondary school’ and NOT determined by the residential address.
However, ESF also recognises this is the first year of this model, and ESF will grandfather all Y6 students who wish to transfer according to their residential zoned address. This means a family may choose to opt out by indicating ‘yes’ when completing their Y7 transfer form.
Should families wish to opt out and process your child’s Y7 transition by zone, it will be according to current residential address at the time of application; change of residential address following submission of application and prior to entry to Year 7 will not be considered.
If you need any clarifications, please contact the KJS school office or the ESF Secondary School Admissions Team at email@example.com.
ESF and Other Notices
73rd Hong Kong Schools Speech Festival (2021)
E-entry forms for the 73rd Hong Kong Schools Speech Festival (2021) are now available (see the links below).
Parents who wish their children to participate in the Festival must submit and print out the completed form(s) together with the entry fee in cash to the school office by Friday, 17th September. Late applications cannot be processed.
For further details on Rules & Regulations and Syllabus, please visit the official website https://www.hksmsa.org.hk/en/speech-festival/
The celebration of student success will channel to our Facebook page. You can find the school’s Facebook here. Please keep the photos and stories coming of our children shooting the AAROW’s of Success!
- Kowloon Junior School, English Schools Foundation and its affiliates shall take no responsibility for any activities, events, and services, that are organised by other organisations or individuals and are mentioned in our newsletters.
- Our newsletters may contain direct marketing materials that are related to students’ daily school activities and the KJS community. Parents who choose not to receive such materials should use their own discretion.
- In accordance with our Personal Data Handling Policy, Kowloon Junior School and English Schools Foundation may place your child’s photos, name, school work, activities and accomplishments in our newsletters or other publications (including but not limited to our websites and social media sites). If you would like to opt out, please email the school office at firstname.lastname@example.org.