Kowloon Junior School’s latest newsletter is available to read now.
Dates for Your Diary
17 – 21 October Mid Term Break
01 – 04 November School Photo
10 – 11 November 3-Way Conferences
16 December Last Day of Term (Half day)
19 December – 06 January Term Break
09 January First Day of Term 2 (school ends at 12 noon)
Acting Principal’s Message
Dear KJS Families,
Last Friday, we had five ESF Board members visit KJS as part of a three-school tour. They also visited KGV and JCSR. Three members of our KJS Student Council – Hajun, Dip, and Aiden – led our tour, and they were wonderful ambassadors for our school. Not only did they plan a route that worked well with the heavy rain at the time, but they also shared their student experiences with clarity and authenticity. This was very useful for the Board members to hear so that they could get a sense of what ESF schools offer. Student voice and agency at KJS featured heavily in the conversations between our students and the Board members, and the feedback that we received afterwards suggested that there was a sense of confidence in how we are supporting our students to become their own teachers.
On Thursday this week, I will be meeting with the ESF Stakeholder Engagement Manager – Mark Garcia – to explore ways in which we can enrich stakeholder engagement at KJS. From my perspective, stakeholder engagement – when it’s intentional and well-designed – can provide useful data to inform decision making. Of course, it’s important that balance and timing are well considered in these processes, as nobody enjoys being overloaded with information. A constructive place to start may be to survey families about which engagement focuses are preferred and how we might best gather the data. I will keep you posted as we move forwards.
Finally, The EDB has issued updated COVID vaccination information to clarify what being fully vaccinated means. I have included the information below relevant to KJS students for your convenience. As always, please ensure that you update your child’s vaccination status through the ESF App if it changes.
- A) SINOVAC Vaccine
A.1 Students of any age above 6 months old are considered fully vaccinated if they:
- HAVE NOT had COVID19 infection and have 3 x doses of vaccine in total.
- Are required to have 3 x doses of vaccine but are in the “interval” period for their
3rd dose and intend to get their 3rd dose within 7 days of the interval period lapsing.
iii. HAVE had COVID19 infection and therefore can have one less dose of the vaccine, that is 2 x doses of vaccine in total.
- Tested positive with COVID19 infection within 14 days of their first vaccine dose, and therefore do not “qualify” for one less dose and have received 2 x further doses of vaccine, that is a total of 3 x doses.
- Have never been vaccinated and HAVE had COVID19 infection can be vaccinated 30 days after recovery and must receive 2 x doses of vaccine in total.
- Have had 1 x dose of vaccine at least 14 days prior to their COVID19 infection and therefore must receive 1 x dose of vaccine after COVID19 recovery.
- B) BIONTECH Vaccine
B.1 Students aged 5 to 11 years old are considered fully vaccinated if they:
- HAVE NOT had COVID19 infection and have 2 x doses of vaccine in total.
- Are required to have 2 x doses of vaccine but are in the “interval” period for their 2nd dose and intend to get their 2nd dose within 7 days of the interval period lapsing.
iii. HAVE had COVID19 infection and therefore can have one less dose of the vaccine, that is 1 x doses of vaccine in total.
- Tested positive with COVID19 infection within 14 days of their first vaccine dose,
therefore do not “qualify” for one less dose and have received 1 x further doses of
vaccine, that is a total of 2 x doses.
Dr. Jamie Schmitz
Kowloon Junior School
Government Student Grant 2022/23
The application forms for the EDB Student Grant were sent home last week. Please refer to this guide here for more information.
If you have received a pink form, please verify all the information, sign and return it to your class teacher or the school office; if you have received a white form (including all Year 1 children), please fill out all the required fields, sign and then return it to your class teacher.
Incomplete or inaccurate information will cause delay to your application. The deadline for submission is Friday, 14 October 2022.
Clothing Donation (Redress)
Did you know?
170 tonnes of clothing are sent to HK landfills daily!
Every piece of clothing thrown away is a huge waste. We know that some people do not have the time to go to various places in HK and donate their clothes, but we have a solution for that. We would like to introduce you to an eco-friendly clothing foundation called Redress.
The process is simple. Your kids bring old or used clothes to school and put them in the boxes placed outside the school gate or the office. Please make sure that all the clothes you donate are clean and are in good condition.
We hope that you understand what a big problem this is, and support your child in creating a brighter, greener future for HK!
Looking forward to your help!
The KJS Student Council
ESF Sports & Language – Autumn Camps
Make the most of the October break. Join us for some fun and adventure!
Arts & Languages
From unleashing creativity through magic, coding, scratch art or raising the roof with singing classes in our workshop, students will explore the Arts and technology this autumn. Our team of experienced and qualified educators have some amazing, hands-on activities in store for your children – just be careful our budding magicians don’t make you disappear!
Stay active and healthy! A variety of sports are available for your children to keep up your children’ energy. From swimming, Krav Maga, fencing and gymnastics! Develop your children’ talents with our all-rounded programmes, taught by our passionate and professional coaches.
Online classes are also available!
Course Listing (Kowloon District): HERE
Hotline: 2711 1280
The celebration of student success will channel to our Facebook page. You can find the school’s Facebook here. Please keep the photos and stories coming of our children shooting the AAROW’s of Success!
- Kowloon Junior School, English Schools Foundation and its affiliates shall take no responsibility for any activities, events, and services that are organised by other organisations or individuals and are mentioned in our newsletters.
- Our newsletters may contain direct marketing materials that are related to students’ daily school activities and the KJS community. Parents who choose not to receive such materials should use their own discretion.
In accordance with our Personal Data Handling Policy, Kowloon Junior School and English Schools Foundation may place your child’s photos, name, school work, activities and accomplishments in our newsletters or other publications (including but not limited to our websites and social media sites). If you would like to opt out, please email the school office at firstname.lastname@example.org.