Kowloon Junior School’s latest newsletter is available to read now.
Dates for Your Diary
Wednesday 19 May Buddha’s Birthday – No school
Friday 28 May Whole School Transition Day
Monday 14 June Dragon Boat Festival – No school
Wednesday 30 June Last day of school – Half day (finish at 12pm)
Thursday 1 July Summer holiday begins!
Thank you to the 450 families (61% of families) who responded to our most recent survey. The feedback and comments have been most helpful and also very affirming. What we learnt:
- 99% of our children are in Hong Kong;
- 97% agree school communication has been effective and timely;
- 99% agree having children in school for the mornings has been beneficial;
- 95% agree their children’s wellbeing has been appropriately supported;
- 53% agree the afternoon learning is meeting the needs of their child and 37% are unsure.
You can easily see the one standout area for clarification and enhancement is the afternoon learning. What was clear was that over 99% of families did not want to return to Zooms in the afternoon. Only 4 families requested this. Families comments include:
- The learning is too hard or for others too easy;
- Some would prefer no afternoon learning;
- Some are unsure what is expected of our child;
- Others are not sure what their children are doing.
So what can we do?
What is clear, once again, is that each home situation is different in terms of support, expectations, resources, learning and wellbeing needs of the child. Children are travelling different distances and have a range of capability and energy to re-engage with learning in the afternoon. This is why we are prioritising the morning learning and making the most of the time we have the children in. What is also noticeable is that we need to clarify that while the afternoon learning is important, we must take into consideration the reality of all of the current variables and the impact on families and children. So, to enhance the provision, the next step is for the parents who are unsure or unhappy with provision to reach out to your child’s teacher and tell them:
- If you expect your child to complete the afternoon learning each day;
- If your child is too tired to complete the afternoon learning and you simply want them to focus on the morning learning;
- If the learning is too hard or too easy for your child;
- If you have any other concerns.
If your child’s teacher does not hear from you, we will assume you are satisfied with the provision. Once again we want to thank families for taking the time to give us feedback. Please take that one step further and reach out to your child’s teacher if you have concerns.
KJS Online Payment System
At KJS, we are keen to provide parents with a simple and sustainable solution to non-school fee and school-based payment. From next Monday 26 April 2021, parents can settle outstanding invoices through our online payment system that is accessible through Gateway or ESF App.
- An auto-generated email will be sent to parents once an invoice is issued through the Payment System.
- Parents can choose to pay by credit card, PayPal or PPS. Other forms of payment including cheques and cash will not be accepted.
- Parents can view, print or download invoices and receipts through the Payment System.
- We are in the process of uploading 2020-2021 transactions to the Payment System and by next Monday, they can be found under the Statement section.
For further details and instructions, please visit our website www.kjs.edu.hk/payment/.
For any questions, please contact our Finance Team at email@example.com.
What an exciting week for the children who have been eagerly waiting to borrow books home. The Library Team were greeted with cheers and clapping hands as this was announced in library class.
Here is a picture of our first class to borrow for the year. Mr. O’Reilly, Ms. Tobin, Mrs. Chan and the 3K class posed for this momentous occasion.
A kind reminder from the library team. In order for your child to borrow books home, they must have a library book bag (see picture below). Library book bags can be purchased from the PTA office for $65 each.
We realize some students may have lost their borrowing cards (placed in the front pocket of the library bag in red in the picture above). A class set has been passed to classroom teachers to pass to students if they are lost.
For students that have overdue books, they will not be able to borrow books. Overdue books must be returned or a replacement fee will be charged. Students have been issued printed overdue notices to bring home on Monday. Should you have trouble locating the book, please email Ms. Lau at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for payment.
At the moment, students will be allowed to borrow up to 2 books each week. Should students forget to bring their library book bags on their library day, they can come to the library in the mornings or break time to exchange books.
After bringing books home, please follow the new library guidelines that have been established for the health and safety of our students:
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our library team. As always, we are always appreciative of your patience and support of the library.
KJS Library Team
ESF and Other Notices
GAPSK Mandarin Competition
The GAPSK Language Promotion Council and the Federation of Parent-Teacher Associations have organized a fun and easy Mandarin (Putonghua) event to encourage parent-child interaction. This fun and easy event is an extra-curricular activity and is non-academic. Please consider signing up to promote parent-child interaction and at the same time, improve children’s Mandarin expressive skills.
Please refer to this website for further details and registration: https://www.gapsk.org/PTA/index/index
The celebration of student success will channel to our Facebook page. You can find the school’s Facebook here. Please keep the photos and stories coming of our children shooting the AAROW’s of Success!
- Kowloon Junior School, English Schools Foundation and its affiliates shall take no responsibility for any activities, events, and services, that are organised by other organisations or individuals and are mentioned in our newsletters.
- Our newsletters may contain direct marketing materials that are related to students’ daily school activities and the KJS community. Parents who choose not to receive such materials should use their own discretion.
- In accordance with our Personal Data Handling Policy, Kowloon Junior School and English Schools Foundation may place your child’s photos, name, school work, activities and accomplishments in our newsletters or other publications (including but not limited to our websites and social media sites). If you would like to opt out, please email the school office at email@example.com.