Kowloon Junior School’s latest newsletter is available to read now.
Dates for Your Diary
12 September Public Holiday
13 September Y5 Day Camp (2021/2022 Y4 Camp – Day 2)
14 -15 September You Tell Us Meetings
01 October Public Holiday
04 October Public Holiday
17 – 21 October Mid Term Break
01 – 04 November School Photo
16 December Last Day of Term (Half day)
19 December – 06 January Term Break
09 January First Day of Term 2 (school ends at 12 noon)
Acting Principal’s Message
Dear KJS Families,
The EDB has recently issued an updated COVID vaccination for extra-curricular activities directive pertaining to 5-11 year-old students. Please see the details below if your child is currently enrolled in a KJS after-school activity or if you are interested in enrolling in the future.
- From October 1st, 2022, 5-11 year-old students enrolled in extra-curricular activities must have received either three doses of the Sinovac vaccine or two doses of the BioNTech vaccine.
- Please note that your child may still participate in extra-curricular activities if they have received two Sinovac doses on or before October 1st, 2022 and are still in the required waiting interval before a third dose is allowed.
- If your child has recovered from COVID-19 before or after being vaccinated then they will require two Sinovac doses or one BioNTech dose from October 1st, 2022.
I understand that it is challenging to navigate the ever-changing COVID requirements, and I appreciate your cooperation in this matter. If needed, please take the necessary action stated in this message and inform us directly of the change in your child’s vaccination status.
Dr Jamie Schmitz
Kowloon Junior School
KJS Parent Volunteers 2022-2023
With the latest EDB circular confirming that there will not be any impact on our current arrangement at KJS in terms of Covid management, we will continue recruiting parent volunteers for this year’s field trips and in-school events. Please refer to the eNotice sent to parents via the ESF App on Monday 5 September.
Interested parents please log in to Gateway, sign the eNotice called “KJS Parent Volunteer 2022-2023” and submit your reply slip to us on or before Thursday 15 September 2022.
Student Health and Dental Care Services
An enrolment form for Student Health and Dental Care Services was sent home earlier this week. For interested parents, please complete and return the form to Nurse Carmen on or before the deadline – Friday 9 September 2022. Please understand that any applications received after the deadline cannot be processed and you will have to wait until the next academic year to enrol again.
For details, please refer to this letter from Nurse Carmen.
Y1 Central Applications for Siblings
Y1 Central Applications will open on 1 September 2022. If you wish to submit an application for your child who was born in 2018 and is a sibling of a current KJS student, please do so through the ESF online application system.
- For children who are currently with an ESF kindergarten, applications must be submitted through Gateway on or before 16 September 2022 as stated in this ESF website https://www.esf.edu.hk/k2-to-year1-key-dates/. Please refer to your child’s respective ESF kindergarten for detail.
- For other children, applications must be submitted on or before 30 September 2022 as stated in this ESF website https://www.esf.edu.hk/year1-key-dates/.
For further details, please refer to this ESF website https://www.esf.edu.hk/application-form/.
Y6 to Y7 Transfer Applications
Y6 to Y7 Transfer Applications will open on 1 September 2022. If you wish your child to transfer to an ESF secondary school, you are required to submit a transfer application via Gateway between 1 September and 16 September 2022 as stated in this ESF website https://www.esf.edu.hk/year6-to-year7-key-dates/. Please click here for instructions.
ESF will process and allocate according to an “associated secondary school” for Y7 placement. The associated secondary school for KJS is King George V School (KGV). This means all KJS Y6 students will transfer to KGV for Y7 for the 2023/2024 school year after submitting a transfer application before the deadline, i.e. 16 September 2022. Allocation for secondary school will be by “associated secondary school” and NOT determined by the residential address.
For further details, please refer to this ESF website https://www.esf.edu.hk/year6-to-year7-key-dates/. For any questions, please contact the ESF Secondary School Admissions Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Extra Curricular Activities with KJS Registered Tutors
We are pleased to announce that the Chess Club will be back in September 2022. Interested parents please contact the organiser directly for sign-up.
Kindly note that in line with EDB guidelines, only children who have received two doses of vaccine can attend extra curricular activities. From 1 October 2022, such requirements will be stepped up to two doses of BioNTech vaccine or three doses of Sinovac vaccine can attend extra curricular activities.
Dear KJS Families,
We are very pleased to announce that we are now opening our business, Nature Knitters again this year. Nature Knitters is a business where some Year 6 students create small products to sell. The money we raise goes to a charity called SPCA, a NGO that supports stray animals all around Hong Kong.
If your child would like to buy a product from Nature Knitters, they can come to the Year 6 shared area any day at soft start on the last week of each Term.
However, there are certain restrictions to the sales, so please read the following:
- Only years 4-6 can bring money to school if they would like to buy products
- No one can bring more than HK$25 to school
- If students have any questions, they can email, email@example.com
- We only accept cash (No Octopus, Online payment etc.)
- Only a max of 3 products per student.
- Every soft start of the last week of the term, students can come up to year 6 shared area to purchase.
We have created a Nature Knitters website, with the different product choices,what charity we donate to, and step- by-step instructions on how to purchase.
We will be sending an email to the Year 4,5 and 6 teacher’s asking them to post our website on their google classroom, so children will be able to access the website.
Thank you for your time,
Ciana, Kate, Alex, Ali, Cecilia
Link to website: Nature Knitters
The celebration of student success will channel to our Facebook page. You can find the school’s Facebook here. Please keep the photos and stories coming of our children shooting the AAROW’s of Success!
- Kowloon Junior School, English Schools Foundation and its affiliates shall take no responsibility for any activities, events, and services, that are organised by other organisations or individuals and are mentioned in our newsletters.
- Our newsletters may contain direct marketing materials that are related to students’ daily school activities and the KJS community. Parents who choose not to receive such materials should use their own discretion.
- In accordance with our Personal Data Handling Policy, Kowloon Junior School and English Schools Foundation may place your child’s photos, name, school work, activities and accomplishments in our newsletters or other publications (including but not limited to our websites and social media sites). If you would like to opt out, please email the school office at firstname.lastname@example.org.