Kowloon Junior School’s latest newsletter is available to read now.
Dates for Your Diary
10 November 3-Way Conferences (3-6pm)
11 November 3-Way Conferences (all day, no school for students)
5-7 December Y5 and Y6 Day Camps
16 December Last Day of Term (school ends at 12 noon)
19 Dec – 06 Jan Term Break
09 January First Day of Term 2
Acting Principal’s Message
Dear KJS Families,
This week we have our Three-Way Conferences in-person. This is, of course, the first time that we have been able to host them offline in recent memory. Building strong relationships with families to effectively support students’ learning is essential, and we believe that an in-person format is the best fit for this aim. We will definitely consider using online options for other events such as some parent education sessions and You Tell Us Conferences where the format fits the purpose well enough and grants families additional flexibility.
As I have mentioned before, Success for Every Child at KJS means that our students are becoming what we like to call assessment-capable. This means that our students are working towards becoming their own teachers and can effectively answer the questions:
- Where am I going (learning targets(s))?
- How am I doing (monitoring and evaluating progress)?
- Where to Next (next steps or actions to further learning)?
This, along with motivation, is at the heart of authentic learner agency where learners can take the lead in their own learning.
We encourage you to ask your children the above mentioned questions during the Three-Way Conferences to help reinforce and develop their assessment-capability. Additionally, please ask them about learning intentions (what they were/are learning), success criteria (what successful learning looks like – often what they will be able to do – observable and measurable), and feedback (what sort of feedback they have received and how it has helped them).
Like all of us, our students are always work in progress, so they will be at different stages of their learning journey. KJS is also on a learning journey towards assessment-capability for all, so please feel free to share your feedback with us at any time.
Dr. Jamie Schmitz
Kowloon Junior School
Three-Way Conferences (10 Nov 3-6 p.m. and 11 Nov all day, no school for students)
Three-way conferences enable dialogue between students, parents and teachers. Everyone meets to discuss the student’s learning and targets with the student taking an equal and active role. A three-way conference is 15 minutes in length and this year will be held in person.
This form of reporting aligns with our AAROW’s of success, particularly Agency and Achievement as it gives students an opportunity to share their growth as learners. Through this process the children will develop competency as assessment-capable learners and demonstrate a growing understanding of their development as independent and agentic learners. As a parent or guardian, you will gain knowledge of assessment capability and a greater understanding of your child’s progress and next steps. Parents, staff and students collaborate to achieve success for every child.
Three-Way Conferences Overview
- Conferences and sessions will be held in person on 10/11 (3-6 p.m.) and 11/11 (all day, no school for all the students)*
- The Gateway will be used for sign-up from 5 pm on Monday 31st October for parents of Year 1 students and those families who have multiple children in school (sibling priority)
- All other parents can sign up from 5pm on Tuesday 1st November
- All appointments are 15 minutes in length.
- The Chinese team will hold Year 1 conferences
- The PE and Music teams will run practical sessions for Year 1 and 2 parents throughout the day. There is no booking required. You can visit these before or after your meeting with the class teacher. (We will expand these to other Year groups in future conference days)
*Other conferences arrangements are made for class 1M and 6N.
To enter school for the meeting we require all visitors to do the two following things;
- Complete a negative RAT test on the day of the meeting
- Use the Leave Home Safe app to scan into school. Parents must present with the ‘Blue” code
Library Parent Workshop (14 Nov)
KJS Library would like to host two in-person workshops to help you navigate your way through our Library, Library Splat page and Library Orbit page.
- What’s the difference between Splat and Orbit page?
- How will this help in my child’s learning?
- How can I improve my child’s literacy? Are there tools to support reading at home?
- How can I support my child during PYPx? What online research databases are there?
We’ll try to answer some of these questions and more. Come in person to the library on Monday, November 14th, 2022. There will be two sessions:
Library Workshop will also be offered through Zoom for working parents. Date will be changed to Wednesday November 30th (5-6pm). Zoom details to follow at a closer date.
To register, please click here: https://forms.gle/zYBhRorgZxWjK1C97
Registration deadline Thursday, November 10th, 2022.
Please email Ms. Lau at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
The celebration of student success will channel to our Facebook page. You can find the school’s Facebook here. Please keep the photos and stories coming of our children shooting the AAROW’s of Success!
- Kowloon Junior School, English Schools Foundation and its affiliates shall take no responsibility for any activities, events, and services that are organised by other organisations or individuals and are mentioned in our newsletters.
- Our newsletters may contain direct marketing materials that are related to students’ daily school activities and the KJS community. Parents who choose not to receive such materials should use their own discretion.
In accordance with our Personal Data Handling Policy, Kowloon Junior School and English Schools Foundation may place your child’s photos, name, school work, activities and accomplishments in our newsletters or other publications (including but not limited to our websites and social media sites). If you would like to opt out, please email the school office at email@example.com.