Kowloon Junior School’s latest newsletter is available to read now.
Dates for Your Diary
01 – 04 November School Photo
10 November 3-Way Conferences (3-6pm)
11 November 3-Way Conferences (all day, no school for students)
16 December Last Day of Term (school ends at 12 noon)
19 December – 06 January Term Break
09 January First Day of Term 2
Acting Principal’s Message
Dear KJS Families,
Over the last three weeks, the Y1 team has opened up their classrooms to small groups of parents to give them an authentic experience of play-based learning. I was fortunate enough to be able to visit the session last week, and it was an absolute joy to behold. Parents seeing and participating in play-based learning with their own and other children in the context of in-person school at KJS is an energising and instructive combination. We are looking forward to creating more opportunities for families to visit KJS to learn about how we live our beliefs and values.
I am sure that many of you are very interested to learn about the details regarding the easing of COVID restrictions in schools. While we are still awaiting more information from the EDB and ESF regarding what this means exactly for us, it looks likely that we will be able to revert to eating lunch in classrooms from the beginning of December. This means that we should be able to reintroduce our external lunch provider early in the new calendar year and move to an adjusted timetable that contains a common lunch period. As soon as we have the details, I will be sure to share them directly with you.
Dr. Jamie Schmitz
Kowloon Junior School
Yearly Fee Collection
To streamline fees and provide a sustainable solution to technology demands, we will continue collecting a lump sum from each child. Invoices have been issued and parents can view / settle them via the online payment system.
- For details of the yearly fee, please refer to the “Yearly Fee Collection” newsletter that was issued via ESF App today.
- Payment must be made by PPS, PayPal, credit card or eWallet balance via the online payment system.
- To know more about the online payment system including how to settle the invoices by using eWallet balance, please visit https://www.kjs.edu.hk/payment/.
- Deadline: Sunday 6 November 2022
- For any questions, please email our Finance Team at email@example.com.
2022- 2023 School Photo (1- 4 November)
All children should wear school uniform (not PE Kit) on the day of their photograph. It is important to remember that if they have PE or Games on the same day they will have to change at school.
If your child has missed their assigned session, please ask him/her to check with the class teacher so that we can find a time for their individual photograph to be taken. For classes which are scheduled to have photo shooting on 2 November, rearrangement will be announced later.
Please refer to the schedule below for the school photos arrangement this year:
Three-Way Conferences (10 Nov 3-6 p.m. and 11 Nov all day, no school for students)
Three-way conferences enable dialogue between students, parents and teachers. Everyone meets to discuss the student’s learning and targets with the student taking an equal and active role. A three-way conference is 15 minutes in length and this year will be held in person.
This form of reporting aligns with our AAROW’s of success, particularly Agency and Achievement as it gives students an opportunity to share their growth as learners. Through this process the children will develop competency as assessment-capable learners and demonstrate a growing understanding of their development as independent and agentic learners. As a parent or guardian, you will gain knowledge of assessment capability and a greater understanding of your child’s progress and next steps. Parents, staff and students collaborate to achieve success for every child.
Three-Way Conferences Overview
- All conferences and sessions will be held in person on 10/11 (3-6 p.m.) and 11/11 (all day, no school for students)
- The Gateway will be used for sign-up from 5 pm on Monday 31st October for parents of Year 1 students and those families who have multiple children in school (sibling priority)
- All other parents can sign up from 5pm on Tuesday 1st November
- All appointments are 15 minutes in length.
- The Chinese team will hold Year 1 conferences
- The PE and Music teams will run practical sessions for Year 1 and 2 parents throughout the day. There is no booking required. You can visit these before or after your meeting with the class teacher. (We will expand these to other Year groups in future conference days)
To enter school for the meeting we require all visitors to do the two following things;
- Complete a negative RAT test on the day of the meeting
- Use the Leave Home Safe app to scan into school. Parents must present with the ‘Blue” code
Library Parent Workshop (14 Nov)
KJS Library would like to host two in-person workshops to help you navigate your way through our Library, Library Splat page and Library Orbit page.
- What’s the difference between Splat and Orbit page?
- How will this help in my child’s learning?
- How can I improve my child’s literacy? Are there tools to support reading at home?
- How can I support my child during PYPx? What online research databases are there?
We’ll try to answer some of these questions and more. Come in person to the library on Monday, November 14th, 2022. There will be two sessions:
Library Workshop will also be offered through Zoom for working parents. Date will be changed to Wednesday November 30th (5-6pm). Zoom details to follow at a closer date.
To register, please click here: https://forms.gle/zYBhRorgZxWjK1C97
Registration deadline Thursday, November 10th, 2022.
Please email Ms. Lau at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
KJS Green Dragons Club (For Year 4, 5, 6)
We are excited to start the KJS Green Dragons club this year. The club will mainly focus on gardening activities however may incorporate other environment learning and initiatives.
The club will meet every Wednesday, from 2:45-3:45, in the Sky Garden.
Sign up is open on Gateway from 2nd – 9th November. We understand that some children have also signed up for clubs, such as Running Club, which may overlap our Garden Club time. Please feel free to allow your children to join our Garden Club anyways. We are happy to have them attend Garden Club whenever their other club finishes.
Please also note that gardening can get a little dirty and it is advised for students to bring a change of shirt or wear an over shirt in order to protect their uniforms.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at school.
Gillian Hadley & Heather Bogador
The celebration of student success will channel to our Facebook page. You can find the school’s Facebook here. Please keep the photos and stories coming of our children shooting the AAROW’s of Success!
- Kowloon Junior School, English Schools Foundation and its affiliates shall take no responsibility for any activities, events, and services that are organised by other organisations or individuals and are mentioned in our newsletters.
- Our newsletters may contain direct marketing materials that are related to students’ daily school activities and the KJS community. Parents who choose not to receive such materials should use their own discretion.
In accordance with our Personal Data Handling Policy, Kowloon Junior School and English Schools Foundation may place your child’s photos, name, school work, activities and accomplishments in our newsletters or other publications (including but not limited to our websites and social media sites). If you would like to opt out, please email the school office at email@example.com.